On a Saturday morning journey to the Commonsense Organics store we made a beautiful discovery…Breadfruit Flour.
The Maiden South Pacific owner was sampling her amazing Breadfruit Flour creation – yum!
What is Breadfruit? It’s a fruit from the Pacific Islands, and it can be milled in to flour. So it’s gluten free, and very clean!
Apparently you can use “one for one” substitute for ordinary flour. We gave it a shot….
- 1 cup Maiden South Pacific Breadfruit flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (I would reduce this next time as Breadfruit is quite sweet)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder. Use gluten free if you wish.
- 1 cup “milk”. We used unsweetened almond coconut milk. Normal milk would be fine.
- 2 eggs. Suggest whisk before adding.
- 30-50g of melted butter. Could use olive spread if want dairy free.
Serve with your favourite toppings. This weekend we had bacon and 100% pure maple syrup (as it is sugar free).
Follow Maiden South Pacific on Instagram @maidensouthpacific or www.maidensouthpacific.co.nz