Friends and family often ask, “what do you eat?”
Generally I’ll follow two type of eating plans depending on what I’m doing; including or excluding clean carbs/high fat dairy. These are reduced if I’m trying to lose a few kgs.
- Oats with water and natural maple syrup
- Two hard boiled eggs
- Or; Treat breakfasts; bacon and eggs or gluten free pancakes (made with coconut sugar, GF flour and almond milk), maple syrup and banana. Let me know if you want me to post my pancake recipe. Also see my breadfruit pancakes recipe here.
Mid morning snack (pick one of):
- Tom & Luke Trinity bar (half or bite size)
- My eggs from the morning if haven’t eaten them
- Protein shake with water – I like Lifefoods Chocolate Whey protein from Commonsense Organics.
- Smoothie – spinach almond milk or coconut water, banana, protein
Lunch (one off):
- Three egg vegetable omelette with whole milk and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Three corn thins with either; tinned tuna, avocado, salmon. Good to get protein in here. Try cottage cheese…
- Salad with meat
If really hungry and haven’t had one for the day I’ll have a shake. Almond milk, banana, protein. Add pure vanilla paste to sweeten if need to.
Snack (one of):
See mid morning snacks for ideas but tend to stay away from Tom & Luke bars in the afternoon unless I’ve done a weights workout
- Peanut butter (and banana) on corn thins
- Protein shake
- Meat and vegetables (limited root veges)
There are so many great ways to add flavour – unsalted butter, herbs, spices, bacon to vege dishes, lemon, garlic, stock. Just ensure they are as close to natural form as possible.
- Slow cooked lamb leg. Put in slow cooker on low all day or in oven cast iron pot for around 4-5 hours @ 150 degrees. Garlic. Onions. Rosemary sticks & Vegetable stock (just line the bottom) and seasoned half leg lamb. Beautiful. Can make gravy with the scratchings using GF flour
- Roast chicken. Throw half lemons, garlic, onions in roasting dish. Season chicken. Surround by chicken stock. Cook for 1.5-2 hours. The chicken stock keeps it moist. Make gravy from the onion garlic lemon scratchings. Yum.
- A curry – eat the vegetables and poppadoms if not watching carbs. Hold the rice (unless want to load up)
Favourite vege dishes this season:
- Streaky bacon, Brussel sprouts, garlic, butter, lemon juice and sliced almonds to serve.
- Big vege stir fry with garlic lemon butter
Dessert (remove if trying to reduce Kgs):
- Healthy banana split: Banana, Zany Zeus yogurt and my chocolate sauce.
- Pana chocolate – OMG! You don’t need much to get your chocolate hit. Available from Commonsense Organics
- Paleo sticky date pudding (very special treat)
- Any paleo dessert
Chocolate sauce: melted coconut oil, cacao powder, coconut sugar.
Throughout the day: 2-3 litres of water and lots of herbal tea.
- Pure 100% natural maple syrup as this contains no sugar. Or try Conscious Syrups – Cassava or Rice Malt Syrup which is fructose free.
- Pure Vanilla paste (Heilala brand)
- Unsweetened Almond or Coconut milk
- Chicken & vegetable stock
- GF flour
- Corn thins
- Peanut butter
- Herbal teas
If trying to lose weight or drop body fat for a special event reduce; carbs, dairy, high fat foods (bacon, butter, peanut butter). Oh, and no alcohol, or milk with coffee – just black coffee.
Please note: I am not a nutritionist and this lifestyle is simply based on what works for my body and my current exercise programme. This includes 2-3 heavy weight sessions per week and 2-4 30min power walks per week.
The basis of this lifestyle diet has been in collaboration with my trainer Rosalie Watson. Credit must be given to Rose for educating me and training me. Thanks lady!